No products in the cart.

Do you have valid certificates?

Do you have valid certificates?

Check the list of foreign qualifications for entry into higher education to find the equivalences between the certificates from your country of origin and the Danish education system.

It is useful to have a general overview on how far or close you are from fulfilling the requirements you are asked for.

Please note that the higher education institution will have the last say. Therefore, contact the educational institution where you wish to apply and ask them if the documents that you have are adequate.

If the educational institution require you to get your certificates equalized into the Danish Education System, you need to get your documents assessed.

Read more: Assessment at the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education

The educational institution might ask that you get your documents assessed at the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education.

Follow the application procedure explained on their standard application form.

The Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education might demand the submission of original documents from some countries.

You will find the list enclosed in the application form. Once you fill out the application form, enclose all required documents (see all instructions in the application) and send the application by post to: Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education, Bredgade 40, 1260 København K or hand it into their reception desk at Bredgade 43.

» Please note: If you send in original documents, you should send them by registered post (“anbefalet brev”). The Ministry of Higher Education will always return original documents by registered post. You will receive confirmation of your application within 14 days.

The assessment should take no more than two months from submitting all of the required documents.

⇒ How much does it cost?
It is free of charge.

⇒ Is it legally binding?
Yes, you will receive an official document which is valid in all institutions.

If the higher education institution denies your application, you can contact a VUC Centre. They will let you know several options of supplementary courses you can take in order to fulfill requirements

Read more: Assessment at VUC Centres

Are you missing some documents and certificates or do you not fulfil the requirements to access the programme you wish?

Ask for a individual competency assessment (IKV)

⇒ What is it?
You can receive an individual competence assessment where your knowledge, skills and competency will be assessed according to your educational background and the programme and educational institution where you wish to apply.

The IKV teacher is going to assess your documentation to determine whether your qualifications can be recognized in relation to the academic objectives of the subject. Some qualifications can be recognized at face value solely on the basis of your documentation, while others must be tested in practice if your documentation is not detailed enough.

The testing may include conversations and interviews, written assignments and tests (may be IT-based), oral assignments and practical exercises.

⇒ Why is it useful?
The benefits of a competency assessment are that you may be admitted to an education even if you do not meet the formal entry requirements and that you can clarify any options for shortening your education.

IKV is focused concretely on what you want to access based on what you already have – e.g. if you are sure you want to be a teacher and you have an educational background in those regards, that might be relevant.

If your qualifications are inadequate, you will have a deeper guidance and the possibility of fulfilling documents through tests, exams and interviews.

⇒ Which certificates does IKV provide you with?
The assessment may lead to the education institution recognizing the applicant’s competencies in the form of:

  • A Certificate of Access (Access to Enrolment) if the competencies are equivalent to the admission requirements for an education or to a part of an education.
  • A certificate of competencies, if your competencies correspond to parts of an education. This will allow you to shorten the new education you wish to take, so you do not have to pass courses that you have already passed in your home country.
  • A certificate of competencies, if your competencies correspond to an entire education.

⇒ When is the competence assessment (IKV) relevant to you?

  • When you do not meet the formal entry requirements.
  • When your current level of knowledge and competence is adequate for the programme you wish to study.

⇒ In which language is it done?
Please note that IKVs are held in Danish. Nevertheless, it is possible to have an IKV in the subject English, without being able to speak Danish, but not in other subjects.

⇒ Where can you get an IKV?
IKVs are made by the Voksenuddannelsescentre (VUC). You will have to fill in an application that will be processed by a VUC.

You might need to provide additional documentation, meet up for one or more conversations, or take a practical test. Contact your local VUC to apply for an IKV.

Once you get your IKV, you will need to present it to the higher education institution where you wish to study, and they will have the final decision on either accepting or declining your application.

⇒ How much does IKV cost?
It is free of charge.

⇒ Is it legally binding?
Yes, you will receive an official document.

Find further information at IKV – VUC

If you don’t have certificates at all you can do Background report. It won’t ensure your access into higher education, but it can make your application more relevant.

Read more: Background report

⇒ What is it?
If you have studied outside Denmark and are unable to provide sufficient documentation for the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education to assess your qualifications, you can apply for a background report.

The background report will describe your educational background, indicating how the Agency would normally assess a similar qualification when sufficient documentation is available.

⇒ When can you use this form?

  • If you have completed all or part of an educational programme in a country other than Denmark, e.g. high school, vocational training or a university degree.
  • You are unable to access the documentation required in order to have an assessment made.

⇒ Where can you get a background report?
Fill in the application form and send it to: Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education: Bredgade 43 DK -1260 København K

⇒ How much does it cost?
It is free of charge.

⇒ Is it legally binding?
No, background reports provide documents that are not official and they might not be accepted by education institutions.

For further questions  contact the Danish Agency for Science and Higher Education: vur@ufm.dk